March 7, 2010

So I volunteered at the Hunger Banquet this past weekend, and it was awesome (thanks Stace and Aly for getting me involved). The Hunger Banquet is used to raise awareness of the severe poverty around the world and inspire students to help those in need. All proceeds go to local non profits. We had an amazing speaker, Martin Burt, from Paraguay talk to us about our responsibility to help the less fortunate. He reminded us that as humans, we are all the same, some of us were just "born in the right zip code". We are so blessed to live in the United States; we have so many opportunities that others don't. It is our responsibility to help those who don't have the means to help themselves. He told us that "we can be pioneers in helping others find their own personal zion".

Last year at this time I was preparing for my summer in Uganda. I have nothing to prepare for this summer, except a few months in Utah (blah). Uganda was such an amazing experience because literally all we did was serve all day everyday, and I wish I could be doing something like that this summer. But then I start thinking back to when one of our friends in Uganda, Kizza, asked us, "Do poor people exist in America?" When we answered "yes" he was very surprised and asked, "Well do you help them the way you help us?" This really stuck with me. Sometimes I feel like we feel the need to travel the world just to help other people. We forget about all the people here, in our own zip code, that need help too. So yeah it's kind of disappointing that I'm not going anywhere "exciting" this summer, but there is plenty to do here too.

2 comments: